Improving Your Municipality’s Digital Presence in 2021
If 2020 taught us anything it’s the importance of a strong digital presence, not only for businesses, but also for municipalities and government organizations. Residents found themselves looking online for policy updates and information about how COVID was impacting their community. And municipalities found that the best way to communicate this information to residents was through their online platforms.
So, what does it mean to have a “digital presence?” A digital presence can involve any number of things including: a website, a social media presence, business directory listings, digital advertising, and more. It is also important to understand that certain aspects of digital marketing will be more relevant to certain organizations. As you work to improve your digital presence keep in mind the five W’s: who, what, where, when, and why. People want to know:
- Who you are: display your name clearly and incorporate branding into your website/social media.
- What you offer: provide details about your services. Be sure to include information about if you are only doing business online, or if you have in-person hours.
- Where your located: Let your audience know where you are located and what areas you serve.
- When you’re open: clearly list your hours and keep them current with Holidays or other closures.
- Why you do what you do: connect with your audience by helping them understand why you do what you do.
The best place to start when working to grow your online presence is to identify what areas of digital marketing that provide the best opportunity for growth for you. Generally, there are four key areas to focus on when it comes to improving your online presence:
1. Updating Your Website
When it comes to digital marketing a good website is arguably your most important tool. This is the best resource people have for learning more about you. So, make sure you keep your website’s information up-to-date. It’s also important to keep your website’s design up-to-date. Make sure your website has user-friendly navigation, a responsive design, and is ADA complaint.
2. Increasing Your Social Media Presence
Social media can be a powerful tool in today’s market place. From the ability to create events, to paid ads, to influencer advertising, an active social media strategy is a great way to engage your audience and drive traffic to your website.
3. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO has to do with understanding what users are searching for in search engines like Google, and what terms they are using. Then, you use that information to help your website rank better. There are a few steps you can take to help improve your rankings; these include:
- Creating optimized content for your website and social media pages
- Add and update your information on business listings, including your Google My Business page.
- Ask for reviews on Google, Facebook, etcetera.
4. Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Marketing
PPC advertising can help drive traffic to your website by running ads on Google, etc. PPC is useful because it allows you to target your audience by choosing your demographic based on interest, location, age, gender, and more. Some of the most popular platforms for PPC marketing include Google Ads and Facebook/Instagram Ads.
For help optimizing your online presence contact the team at GovUnity today. We will work with you to design a responsive, SEO-friendly, user-friendly website for your company or brand.